- I don't even know how to write this post, but here goes...
- We went to see the neurologist yesterday. He went through and explained all the MRI images. One thing we learned is that the body absorbs damaged brain tissue and replaces it with spinal fluid-like liquid. Becca has large and multiple areas of this fluid. Her optic nerves are damaged (which we knew) but so is the part of the brain that receives the information from the optic nerves. So, except for some peripheral vision, she is blind. He also gave her a diagnosis of Cerebral Palsy and Mental Retardation as well as Autistic-like characteristics.
We still do not know if she will speak or walk. Time (and lots of therapy) will tell. We are still processing all this information and trying to focus on today and not get overwhelmed with the future. We covet your prayers as always. Martin Luther penned this hymm hundreds of years ago, but is it ever true for me today:
- "A Mighty Fortress Is Our God" by Martin Luther
- A mighty fortress is our God, a bulwark never failing;
Our helper He, amid the flood of mortal ills prevailing:
For still our ancient foe doth seek to work us woe;
His craft and pow’r are great, and, armed with cruel hate,
On earth is not his equal.
- Did we in our own strength confide, our striving would be losing,
Were not the right Man on our side, the Man of God’s own choosing:
Dost ask who that may be? Christ Jesus, it is He;
Lord Sabaoth, His Name, from age to age the same,
And He must win the battle.
- And though this world, with devils filled, should threaten to undo us,
We will not fear, for God hath willed His truth to triumph through us;
The Prince of Darkness grim, we tremble not for him;
His rage we can endure, for lo, his doom is sure,
One little word shall fell him.
- That word above all earthly pow’rs, no thanks to them, abideth;
The Spirit and the gifts are ours through Him Who with us sideth;
Let goods and kindred go, this mortal life also;
The body they may kill: God’s truth abideth still,
His kingdom is forever.